history

Here’s a brief history of Northern Children’s Services. Just click on the year or the title to view details.

1853

Founding
1853.08.03
Northern Children's Services opened its doors on Buttonwood Street in Philadelphia as "Northern Home for Friendless Children."
Founded during the Civil War Area, Northern home for Friendless Children was founded to meet the critical needs of children and their families during wartime.

 

1854

First Relocation

1923

Second Relocation

1970

The 1970s & Beyond

1990

The 1990s

2006

Our Campus Grows

2008

Weinberg Hall Renovated

2012

We Change Our Name

2014

Merrick Hall Reopens